e-2004
Tuesday, June 22, 2004
 
Aah mark, I have to make one thing clear... I admit, I do like bashing England, but it's got nothing to do with pre-emptively soothing the pain of defeat. I have never liked English football, I dislike the sneering attitude to individual skill that sees great footballers derided as 'luxuries' while mediocre work-horses are seen as the heroes of the game.

On Sunday I watched Spain go out of the tournament with my brother, and was turning the air blue with rage as one of my favourite teams stuffed it up again. On monday I watched the England game with the same brother, and couldn't even muster a smile; aside from Rooney, there's not an England player I'd pay to watch, and frankly, aside from Southampton, the rest of football is just entertainment isn't it. I can only afford one partisan weakness, and that is for my hometown club. The rest of the time I want to see players who are at least capable of exciting football, even if they don't always produce it. Hence why I shall be cheering on the underperforming Deco, Figo and Ronaldo, rather than a bunch of hod-carriers surviving in the slip-stream of their one genuine talent.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Blog for discussion of Euro 2004 football tournament.

ARCHIVES
June 2004 / July 2004 /


CONTRIBUTORS

Scott - somedisco

Philip - It's All in Your Mind

Andy - Midland Memorabilia

Tim - The Rambler

Mwanji - be.jazz

Paul - Shards, fragments and totems

Mark - k-punk

LINKS

e-2004 technorati profile

TMFD - Freaky Trigger's sport blog

Independent

Times

Guardian


Powered by Blogger